I’ll warn you that while this is indeed a simply-designed exercise, it isn’t exactly short. So bookmark this page and come back to it when you’re ready to begin.
- Copy paste the values from this list into a word document.
- On your first pass through, delete the obvious values that don’t fit you at all.
- Take a second pass, and delete a few more.
- Organize the remaining values into categories.
- If you have more than 10 categories, remove the least important ones.
- If you have less than 5 categories, break a few of them apart so that you have 10.
- Within your 10 categories, try to narrow down the value into a single word. Do not have more than four words per category.
- Prioritize your categories 1-10 in order of importance: 1 being most important and 10 being least important.
- Reorganize the categories, or repeat this exercise periodically, as your values will change depending on your situation in life.
Now imagine that your day can only be devoted to the most important value on this list. Are you spending your time wisely? If not, how can you reorganize your life so that it reflects your values? Think of small changes that you can make every day that can make a difference.